What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction, often abbreviated as ED, also called impotence, is the case when a man regularly finds difficulty to achieve or sustain an erection (of the penis) which is satisfactory for the sexual relationship.
Erectile Dysfunction can be an indication of a physical or psychological state. In this condition, man persistently suffers from stress, relationship strain, and low self-confidence. Its main symptom is man’s insufficiency to get or retain an erection firm sufficient for sexual intercourse. Also, it lowers his sexual desire.
Reasons behind Erectile Dysfunction & its Complications
These days Erectile Dysfunction is very common among men due to their irregular habits and unhealthy diets. This is an abnormality that takes place in a man due to multiple reasons physical as well as on psychological level.
Some of the Physical causes are Heart disease, clogged blood vessels also called atherosclerosis, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, Diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, obesity, treatment for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate, surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord, kidney failure, Neurogenic disorders, certain prescribed medicines, tobacco consumption, sleep disorder etc. Aging is one of the major causes of it, as it occurs four times more in men aged the 60s as compared to those who are in 40s.
While on another hand, there are some Psychological causes that can obstruct sexual desires and cause or deteriorate erectile dysfunction. These are:
- Stress and guilt.
- Depression and severe anxiety or other mental disorder.
- Fear of intimacy
- Relationship issues due to improper communication and low self-confidence.
Due to erectile dysfunction, one has to face various problems and complications in his life. He has an unsatisfactory sex life with his partner, which causes relationship problems. He always feels the state of embarrassment and low self-esteem. There is always the guilt of the powerlessness to get his partner pregnant.
Despite these complications, the positive part is that in the modern day there are several treatments are available for ED and most of the man find a solution to his problem. These include:
- Drug treatments– These are the inhibitors called PDE-5 which helps in opening of the urethra.
- Pumps or Vacuum devices– This is a mechanical method to produce an erection for men who do not like drug treatments or for whom it doesn’t work.
- Surgical treatments-For the extreme cases, two main surgeries are available for the patient
1) Penile Implants 2) Vascular Surgery
Top Tips to Prevent Erectile Dysfunction
Though there are multiple treatments are available in the market, but it always suggests “Prevention is better than Cure”. One can easily prevent ED by simply making changes in their lifestyle and their choices. These are:
- Monitor your diet & maintain a healthy weight.
- Make yourself free from high blood pressure and high cholesterol
- Say NO to alcohol.
- Do exercise regularly
- Keep tabs on testosterone
- Stop Smoking
- Drive clear of risky sex
- Reduce Stress and do yoga for inner peace.
One of the most important things is to make healthy communication with you better-half and take the corrective action at the correct time.